Deadly weekend of hostilities seems to hold in Israel

Deadly weekend of hostilities seems to hold in Israel

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had previously warned Sunday that "massive attacks against terrorist elements" would continue due to Gaza's rocket attacks.

At his weekly Cabinet meeting Sunday morning, Netanyahu said, "Hamas bears the responsibility not only for its attacks and actions but also for the actions of Islamic Jihad, and it is paying a hefty price for this."

Israeli Economy Minister Eli Cohen used similar language in discussing the conflict.

"The rules of the game have changed. We are preparing for a campaign that, by the end of it, Hamas and Islamic Jihad will beg for a ceasefire," Cohen said in a statement posted on social media.

The weekend also saw the first use of targeted killing by Israeli authorities in Gaza in years. Israeli aircraft struck the vehicle of Hamid Ahmed Abdul Khudri, according to the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), who they say was responsible for money transfers from Iran to militant groups like Islamic Jihad and Hamas, the two largest factions inside the Gaza Strip.

There is a dispute over the cause of one of the infants and one of the pregnant women -- Gaza health officials say both died in an Israeli airstrike.

Diplomatic attempts to bring an end to the fighting continued throughout the weekend, including "very intense" mediation efforts by Egypt and the United Nations.